Looking to replace your boiler? The cost is probably top of mind for you.
The average cost to install a boiler in Denver runs around $10,000, but you could end up paying anywhere from $5,500 to $21,400.
That’s a broad range, we know. The cost varies depending on the five factors below:
In this blog, we’ll examine how each of these factors can impact where your boiler installation cost falls on the price spectrum.
Cost Factor #1: Boiler Size
When we talk about a boiler’s size, we’re not talking about the unit’s physical dimensions. Boilers are sized in British Thermal Units (BTUs), which measure how much energy the boiler uses to heat one pound of water by 1°F. So, the bigger the boiler, the more heat it can produce per hour for your home. Bigger boilers cost more to install because they can produce more heat for your home.
Most residential boilers are in the 100,000 to 250,000 BTU size range. However, this doesn’t mean you need to buy the 250,000 BTU boiler. If the boiler is too oversized or undersized for your home, you could end up with higher energy bills, more wear-and-tear and more repairs needed for the system.
To find the best boiler size for your home, you’ll want to hire an HVAC contractor to perform a calculation that considers a variety of factors. For example, the type of heating system you have, the square footage of your home, insulation levels in your home and more factors could all impact what size of boiler you should get.
Cost Factor #2: Boiler Efficiency
The more efficient a boiler is, the more it will cost to install. That said, more efficient boilers may cost more upfront but can help you reduce your monthly energy bills.
Boiler efficiency is measured by an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating, which measures how much energy is spent actually heating your home. We recommend an AFUE rating of 90+% for Denver homeowners.
For example, let’s say you buy a boiler with an AFUE rating of 85%. That means only 85% of the energy used that you’re paying for is being used to heat your home, while the other 15% is lost.
What is considered a high-efficiency boiler then?
The Department of Energy states that any boiler with an AFUE rating of 90% and up is considered to be highly efficient. The contractor you hire to install your boiler can help you determine which AFUE rating is best for your efficiency goals and budget.
Cost Factor #3: Fuel Type
Boilers can be fueled with natural gas, propane or oil. Natural gas boilers tend to be more eco-friendly, efficient and cheaper to operate than propane or oil boilers. This is especially true in Colorado as the state has some of the cheapest natural gas prices in the country.
However, if you have a propane or oil boiler and want to switch to a natural gas boiler, your installation costs will increase. Switching to a natural gas boiler requires additional labor such as possibly needing to add a natural gas line, replacing your current appliances with gas appliances and removing any propane or oil tanks.
To see if you’d reap enough benefits from switching fuel types to make the additional installation costs worth it, talk to the contractor you hire.
Cost Factor #4: Length of Parts Warranty
Most boiler manufacturers will offer limited warranties to cover certain boiler repairs or replacements due to a manufacturing defect. The typical boiler limited warranty lasts for 5 – 10 years. Most units come with a standard warranty with the option of a warranty extension when registered with the manufacturer.
Cost Factor #5: Contractor You Hire
Higher-quality plumbing contractors charge more for their installation services. But don’t let the higher installation cost deter you from choosing a more experienced plumber.
As you already know from the price range we provided in the introduction, buying a new boiler can be an investment. You don’t want to spend thousands on a boiler and end up still having to pay for expensive repeat work.
That’s why it’s important to hire a high-quality contractor who can properly size your boiler and install it. An accurate boiler size for your home and installation improves your boiler’s efficiency, reducing your energy bills and need for repairs down the line.
So, how do you find a high-quality contractor? Make sure they:
- Have a Colorado license
- Provide upfront written quotes before any work begins
- Provide labor warranties on their work
- Has a great Better Business Bureau rating
Ready for a New Boiler? Cooper Green Team Can Give You a Free Estimate!
At Cooper Green Team, we make it our mission to help you find the most efficient system for your boiler installation. Over the course of 40+ years, we’ve helped Denver homeowners save more than $167 million by upgrading their boilers to high-efficiency systems. Give us the opportunity to help you save money.